Dr. Benjamin Shlomi D.M.D.
Birthplace: Tel Aviv, Israel
Year of birth: 1950
Status: Married + 2
Address: 80 Krinitzki St., Ramat Gan 52601 Israel
+ 972-3-6731508 (Home)
+ 972-3-6973676 (Office)
+ 972-524-266525 (Mobile)
+ 972-3-6974647 (Office)
Education: graduate of the Hebrew University and Hadassah school of Dental
Medicine at Jerusalem (1974)
Graduate of the Oral and Maxillofacial surgery Residency program Tel-
Hashomer hospital, Israel (1979-1983)
Israeli Board Certified in OMFS since 1984
Senior Residency program in OMFS at the Massachusetts General
Hospital, Boston MA, U.S.A and Harvard University (1989-1990) .
Army Service: I.D.F Regular service and Career Army service (1975-1989).
Last rank: Major Officer.
Experience: During my training in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery, I was employed as a resident (1979-1983) and then as a senior surgeon and stuff member (1983-1989) at the joint ,Tel – Hashomer Medical Center and Israeli army department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Starting from 1986 I became the senior Army member at that field and was nominated deputy head of department in 1989, after the mergence process of both departments. During that period of time I was intensively involved in the entire spectrum of medicine, as defined under Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. I’ve also performed most of the surgical Procedures defined under that entity and supervised a residents training program.
In 1989-1990 I spent one year of extra training, as chief resident at the department of OMFS of the Massachusetts General hospital in Boston Mass U.S.A.
That position included active clinical work and intensive training at Boston children’s hospital, Brigham and women hospital and Mass. General hospital, all these hospitals are affiliated to the Harvard University school of Medicine and Dentistry.
I was involved in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery operations and Plastic Surgery of Birth developmental defects, as well as Trauma and Tumor Surgery.
Upon my return to Israel and retirement from the Army Service, I joined the staff of Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center as a full time senior Surgeon and deputy head of department and in the year 2001 I was nominated acting Chief of unit, until 2003
and as the Head of the department in 2006..
My main fields of interest, in clinical work, is OMF Trauma , Orthognathic Surgery and Implantology.
- Clinical Instructor at the Tel Aviv University Dental school since 1991.
- Clinical Lecturer since 2006.
- Student’s teacher and lecturer on the regular, under-graduate, training program at the Dental school and during clinical rotations, at the outpatient clinic of “Ichilov”. Hospital. Lecturing in the post graduate program of the section for Orthodontics, Tel – Aviv University.
- Member of the Israeli board of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery under the Israeli Dental Association.
- My experience in basic research has been focused on the effects of therapeutic radiation on Oral wound healing, Immunohistochemistry and Laser therapy.
List of publications:
- The effect of irradiation – timing on the initial socket healing in rats
- Horn Y, Sela MN,. Shlomi B, Ulmansky M, Sela J .
- Int. J. Oral Surg. 1979; 8:459-61.
- Immunohistochemical Analysis of a case of Intra Oral Nodular Fasciitis
- Shlomi B, Mintz S, Yossipov J, Horwitz I
- J. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1994; Mar: 52:323-26.
- Surgical uprighting of Impacted Mandibular second molars Shlomi B
- Isr. Dent Assoc. 1998;15 (3): 28-31. (Hebrew)
- Surgical Treatment of Fractures of the atrophic mandible
- Shlomi B, Levy J , Kahn A , Horowitz I.
- Harephua 2002 ;141:242-46 (Hebrew)
- Case Selection for apical surgery: A Retrospective Evaluation Of Associated Factors and Rational.
- Abramovitz I, Better H, Shacham A , Shlomi B, Metzger Z
- J Endodon 2002; 28: 527-30
- Use of Bone Block for Augmentation of Atropic Alveolar ridge.
- Kahn A, Shlomi B, Levy J, Better H, Chaushu G.
- J Isr. Dent. Assoc 2003;20:54-64 (Hebrew)
- Advances In Laser therapy for Bone repair.
- Advances In Laser therapy for Bone repair.
- Barber, J.E. Luger, A. Karpf, K.H. Salame, B. Shlomi, G Kogan,
- Nissan, M. Alon, S. Rochkind.
- Laser Therapy 2001; 13; 80-85.
- Anterior Skull Base surgery without Prophylactic airway diversion Procedures .
- Gil Z, Cohen JT, Spector S, Shlomi B, Fliss D.
- Otolaryugol. Head Neck surgery 2003; 128: 1-5.
- The Subcranial approach for resection of anterior Skull Base tumors.
- Gil Z, Spector S, Abergil A, Cohen JT, Hefez A, Shlomi B, Amir A, Gur E, Zuker G ,Fliss D.
- Harephua 2003; 142: 416-420.(Hebrew)
- The Presurgical Workup before Third Molar surgery: How much is enough?
- Better H,. Abramovitz I, Shlomi B, Kahn A, Levy Y, Shaham A, Chaushu G.
- J Oral Maxillofac. Surg 2004; 62: 689-692.
- The Effect of Sinus Membrane perforation and repair with Lambone on the outcome of Maxillary sinus floor Augmentation: A Radiographic Assesment.
- Shlomi B, Horowitz I, Kahn A, Dobrian A, Chaushu G.
- Int. J. Oral & Maxillofac. Implants 2004; 19: 559-562.
- Avascular necrosis of the jaw bone after Bisphosphonates therapy.
- Shlomi B , Levy Y, Kleinman S, Better H , Kahn A , Shtabsky A , Chaushu G
- Harephua 2005 ; 144; 536-39 (Hebrew) .
- Effects of the subcranial approach on facial growth and development.
- Shlomi B , Chaushu S, Gil Z, Chaushu G, Fliss D.
- Otolaryngol. Head neck surg. 2007; 136 :27-32.
- Multidisciplinary surgical approach for cerebrospinal fluid leak in children with complex head trauma.
- Fishman G, Fliss DM, Benjamin S, Margalit N, Gil Z, Derowe A, Constantini S, Beni-Adani L.
- Childs Nerv Syst. 2009 Aug;25(8):915-23.
- Factors affecting changes in sinus graft height between and above the placed implants.
- Mardinger O, Chaushu G, Sigalov S, Herzberg r, Shlomi B, Schwartz-Arad D.
- Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011 Jan;111(1):e6-11.
- Solid keratocystic odontocystic tumor – report of a nonaggressive case.
- Shuster A , Shlomi B , Reiser V , Kaplan I
- J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Apr;70(4)865-70.
- Oral neurovascular hamartoma: a lesion searching for a name.
- Allon I, Allon DM, Hirshberg A, Shlomi B, Lifschitz-Mercer B, Kaplan I.
- J Oral Pathol Med.2012 Apr;41(4):348-53.
- Oral intravascular fasciitis: a rare maxillofacial lesion.
- Reiser V, Alterman M, Shlomi B, Issakov J, Dagan Y, Kleinman S, Shuster A, Kaplan I.
- Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2012 Aug;114(2):e40-4.
- The clinical,histologic and treatment spectrum in necrotising Sialometaplasia.
- Kaplan I, Alterman M, Kleinman S, Reiser V, Shuster A, Dagan Y, Shlomi B.
- Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2012 Nov;114(5):577-85.
- Treatment of peri-implamtitis using multiple applications of Chlorhexidine chips: a double-blind , randomized multi-centre clinical trial.
- Machtei EE, Frankenthal S, Levi G, Elimelech R, Shoshani E, Rosenfeld O, Tagger-Green N, Shlomi B.
- J Clin Periodontol. 2012 Dec;39(12):1198-205.
- HIF-1 alfa, VEGF and EGFR: contributing factors in the pathogenesis of necrotizing sialometaplasia.
- Allon I, Kaplan I, Allon DM, Vered H, Shlomi B, Hirshberg A.
- Oral Dis. 2014 Jul;20(5):440-5.
- The importance of histopathological diagnosis in the management of Lesions presenting as peri-implantitis.
- Kaplan I, Hirshberg A, Shlomi B, Platner O, Kozlovsky A, Ofec R, Shwartz-Arad D.
- Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015 Jan;17 Suppl 1:e126-33.
- Comprehensive dental treatment under general anesthesia: Implementation among patients with mouth opening limitation
- Wolff A, Singer A, Shlomi B.
- Refuat Hape Vehashinayim(1993). 2013Jul;30(3):44-51,63.Hebrew.
- V-stand—a versatile surgical platform for oromandibular Reconstruction using a 3-dimentional virtual modeling system.
- Reiser V, Alterman M, Shuster A, Kleinman S. Shlomi B,
- Yanko-Arzi R,Zaretski A,Amir A, Fliss DM.
- J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Jun:73(6):1211-26.
- Association of CD24 and the adenomatous polyposis coli gene Polymorphisms with oral lichen planus.
- Kaplan I, Nabiochtchikov I, Leshno A, Moshkovitz M, Shlomi B
- Kleinman S, Dagan Y,Meshiach Y, Galazan L,Arber N, Avivi-Arber L, Kraus S.
- Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015sep;120(3): 378-85.
- Primary Oral Malignancy Imitating Peri-Implantitis.
- Raiser V, Abu-El Naaj I, Shlomi B,Fliss DM, Kaplan I.
- J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Jul; 74(7) : 1383-90.
- Can Differences in Vascularity Serve as a Diagnostic Aid in Fibro-Osseous Lesions of the Jaws?
- Shmuly T, Allon DM, Vered M, Chushu G, Shlomi B, Kaplan I.
- J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Nov 24 [Epub ahead of print].
Doctoral Thesis instruction (Tel Aviv University):
- The Effect of Lefort I Maxillary Osteotomy on Nasal airway. 1994 . Belfer M, Co- supervisor: prof. Lieberman M.
- The Influence of Bone source and Membeane perfoations on the success rate of Sinus floor augmentation . Dobrian A 1998 Co- supervisor: Dr. Horowitz I
- Factors affecting sinus graft height, measured between and above the placed implants. Sigalov S. 2008 Co supervisors : Dr. Shwartz- Arad D , Dr. Merdinger O.
- The Epidemiology of Bruxism and other reported Oral habits in Nurses on Day or Night shifts. Algisser A. 2011 Co supervisor : Dr. Vinocur E.
Active Participation in recent scientific meetings:
- Clinical use of Symphysial Bone combined with Dental Implantology Annual meeting of Isael OMFS assoc. 1997.
- Surgical uprighting of Mandibular Impacted second molar. Bi – National congress of rhe Israeli and Turkish Assoc. of OMFS 1999.
- Rigid plate fixation combined with free flap for Mandibular reconstruction. Annual meeting of the Isaeli OMFS Assoc. 2000.
- Complimentary Surgical Orthodontic Procedures in Cleft Lip & Palate Syndrome. Joint meeting of the Israeli OFMS Assoc. and Orthodontic Assoc. 2003.
- The effect of Sinus Membrane Perforation on the outcome of maxillary sinus Floor augmentation –a radiographic study. I.A.D.R Israeli division annual meeting 2003.
- The use of Autogenous bone grafts in major vertical ridge augmentation . First International conference – Center of advanced Knowledge in dental Implantology . Tel Aviv 2005
- Surgical uprighting of Impacted Mandibular second molars. The Jerusalem Orthodontic symposium 2005.
- Molecular structure of bone, after experimental trauma such as calvarian bone defect, followed by Laser therapy. WALT Inernational congress – Cyprus ,2006
- Bisphosphonates related Osteonecrosis of the jaw bones- Surgical update. Israel Dental Association annual meeting , Tel Aviv 2006.
- Critical analysis of bone block techniques, used for pre-implant alveolar reconstruction – Israeli association OMF annual meeting, Tel Aviv 2007
- Surgical approaches to Ankylosis of the Temporomandibular joint Synthes A-O meeting , Israel 2009.
- Implant failure – is it the end of the road? Implant Direct annual meeting , Israel 2010
- Ameloblastic fibroma in a young child / Clinical pathological conference. Israel residency program in OMFS meeting . Ichilov hospital , Tel aviv, February 2011.
Professional Associations Membership:
- Member of the Israeli association for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Affiliate Member the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Molecular structure of Bony tissue repair after experimental trauma to the mandibular region followed by laser therapy.
- Shlomi, G. Kogan, S. Rochkind et al. Laser therapy 2002 (accepted).
- Head and Neck Microsurgical Reconstruction: A Three-year, Three-Center Collaborative Experience.
- Amir, T. Shpitzer, D. Ad-El, Y. Ben-Asher, D. Fliss, B. Shlomi,
- Rapaport, A. Shtayer, R. Shafir, R. Feinmesser & E. Gur. J
- Reconstructive Microsurgery 2002; 18; 527 (ASRM Abstract).
- Microvascular Reconstruction of the Orbito-Maxillary Complex – A soft tissue molding.
- Amir, D. Fliss, D.C. Neligan, B. Shlomi, E. Gur.
- J Reconstructive Microsurgery 2004 July; 427 (ASRM Abstract).
- תיקון מומים מולדים ונרכשים בעצמות הפנים – ד”ר בנימין שלומי, ד”ר אורי בלנק .
- Medical- מגזין הרופאים בישראל , ינואר 2009 ע”מ 50-53.
- Kombiniert kieferorthopadisch-kieferchirurgische therapie von skelettalen dysgnathien Von Nezar Watted , Josef Bill , Benjamin Shlomi
- Cosmetic dentistry August 2009 ( in German)
- Odontogenic cysts and tumors – Shlomi B, Kaplan I – in Fliss D.M. (editor) : Atlas of
- Otolaryngology Head and neck surgical techniques 2011 ( in final editting)/